If you are caring for someone with memory loss or dementia, there is a range of information and support services to assist you:
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) – Multicultural Health Carer Support Groups provided with an interpreter. Contact: 4221 6770
- Macedonian and Serbian Support Groups: 4275 2266 (Macedonian Welfare Association)
- Multicultural Dementia Carer Support Group and Care Worker (Cringila): 4276 4364
- CatholicCare’s CALD Counselling, Support and Advocacy program: 4227 1122
- CAPAH Multicultural Services (Spanish Carers Groups): 4297 7546
- Directory of Support Groups in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions
You may consider a range of care options including:
- Aged Care Assessment: Southern Hospitals Network Access Referral Centre: 1300 792 755 (Interpreters available)
- Multicultural Dementia Specific Day Care Services at Cringila, Warilla and Shoalhaven: 4229 7566
- Dementia Behaviour Management and Advisory Service (DBMAS): 1800 699 799
- Contact the Telephone Interpreter Service to call My Aged Care.Telephone Interpreter Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call on 131 450.
- When you call TIS, an operator will ask you what language you need. Tell the operator in English the language you speak.
- The operator will then connect you with an interpreter who speaks your language.
- You may need to wait on the line for the interpreter, or the operator may need to call you back when an interpreter is available.
- Once you are speaking with the interpreter, explain to them that you would like to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and the interpreter will call for you. Once My Aged Care answers the phone, the interpreter will interpret your conversation.